Vegetables in your Balcony
The idea of growing your own fresh vegetables in your balcony is indeed an exciting one. Even though kitchen gardens aren’t common in cities because of paucity of space, there is no reason why you shouldn’t grow vegetables on your balcony or in your terrace. The rewards can be many; including a satisfying hobby, a self sustaining kitchen and the pleasure of waking up to the beautiful sight of green vegetables growing in your apartment.
But here are a few points you should remember.
- Don’t bite more than you can chew. Kitchen gardening is lot of work and will take away quite a few hours from your weekly schedule. Start small, a few pots maybe, and grow more as per your capacity.
- Give importance to the soil you use for growing your vegetables. Add nutrients to the soil regularly by adding compost. You can use nutrient rich organic soil for your containers.
- Does your balcony have proper sunlight? 4-6 hours of proper sunlight is necessary for growing vegetables.
- Is the climate in your city suitable for the vegetables you are planning to grow?
- Do you have the necessary equipment for the job – containers of different sizes, regular water supply, saplings or seeds, tools like secateurs for pruning your plants, etc?
- Have you decided clearly what kind of vegetables to grow and planned your space accordingly. Some go for regular vegetables like tomatoes, capsicum, chilies, coriander, mint, gourd, cabbage, lettuce, watermelon. Some even try more exotic varieties like bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, strawberries, etc. Decide on vegetables based on your kitchen requirements, your knowledge of growing them and the resources at your disposal.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.
1 Comment + Add Comment
Leave a comment
Subscribe to get Updates
Like Us on Facebook
- May 2013 (2)
- April 2013 (4)
- March 2013 (3)
- February 2013 (5)
- January 2013 (4)
- December 2012 (4)
- November 2012 (4)
- October 2012 (3)
- September 2012 (2)
- August 2012 (3)
- July 2012 (4)
- June 2012 (3)
- May 2012 (3)
- April 2012 (4)
- March 2012 (3)
- February 2012 (4)
- January 2012 (3)
- December 2011 (5)
- November 2011 (5)
- October 2011 (5)
- September 2011 (7)
- August 2011 (6)
- Tree Services Birmingham on The Benefits of Having Trees [Infographic]
- Debra on Top 5 Benefits of Organic Lawn Care
- Sharpex Blog Team on Sharpex Lawn Mowers used by Top Indian Corporate Houses
- Rohit on Sharpex Lawn Mowers used by Top Indian Corporate Houses
- Littleton Landscape on Vastu Tips for Garden Landscaping